Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm Blind

Speaking of the dog days in my previous blog reminded me of the time I went blind. It was while I was in 4th grade, I lived on Second Avenue, and it was during the heat of the summer. That was the same summer I was pushed off the porch and broke my arm.

Anyway, at this time both my parents worked and so a sitter was hired. She would arrive early, before the Speed kids were out of bed. Well, this one morning I woke up and everything was black. I panicked because I couldn't see a thing. I started yelling out "I'm blind, I'm blind!" I stumbled down the hall and felt my way down the steps. I remember being very afraid. I yelled it again "I'm blind." I think I was getting a little out of control.

The sitter didn't know what to do so she took me over to the neighbor lady's house. She looked at me and tried to calm me down. The next thing I knew there were hot, wet cloths put over my eyes. She began to rub my eyes and soon I could open them. She washed at my eyes for a few minutes. Then she told me I had a bad case of pink eye. The puss from the pink eye had glued my eyelids shut.

After the broken arm and the pink eye, the sitter had had enough. she went home early that day and never came back. I got a lecture from dad and mom for making such a ruckus. Now they would have to find a new sitter.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the return follow. I've had that happen to one eye...but both. It would be enough to scare the pajamas off a kid.

    ReplyDelete