Monday, September 6, 2010

Pain in the Butt

I finally got the bicycle out this morning. At 7:00 AM my friend, Cory, and I went for a ride down town. There is a Starbucks there that Cory likes to visit, so off we went. From my house to the Starbucks is about 12 miles, then 12 miles home again. We took the route along the S. Platte River. It was a nice ride.... nothing difficult. We sat for about an hour and chatted and enjoyed our coffee. Then we rode home again. It was a 24 mile round trip for me.

Every one is asking me if it wore me out. Well, no, it didn't. Well, not exactly. My legs felt good, I felt good. But I had a real pain in the Butt. I mean.... well.... my butt hurt. I am convinced that seats to bicycles are not really meant to sit on. I think they are just caps so you don't sit on that little post. But believe me, it felt like I was sitting on the post. If I invented a real seat for the bicycle would manufacturers actually install it on new equipment? Would bicyclists actually use it. Or is this some "tough guy" thing where it proves you are a man if you can actually bicycle for several miles sitting on the post cap.

Ya, ya, I know. They make biking trousers (for lack of the real name) that have padding in the seat. This is conspiratory. They purposely make and install these skimpy little seats knowing that you will be back to buy the padded trousers. What choice to do have. Oh, wait! I did see a big cushy seat in the hardware store. But if I actually used that everyone would think I'm a sissy. A guy just can't win.

Or, maybe it is just that my 60 year old butt isn't meant for this. Do younger butts fare better? I don't know. But I do know that my ride today would have been much more enjoyable if it wasn't such a pain in the butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment