Saturday, October 2, 2010

Misfits!

Today I was at the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder and once again saw some of the misfits of society. In a way, it's a strange mix. Part of going to the mall is to see the bruskers and the street musicians. Well the bruskers were missing today, but the musicians were present.

The first act I saw was this guy skate boarding while strumming his amplified guitar. I'm not sure how you collect money in your hat while rolling along about 10 miles per hour. It was a little strange.

Then I saw a guy playing a one-stringed home made instrument that sounded a little bit like a bass. He had a few dollars in his hat.

I didn't see any others, so we went and had tea at Ku Cha. I asked the owner if Ku Cha was some type of martial arts and he said, "no, it means bitter tea." I'm assuming he meant in Chinese. However, I didn't find their tea bitter at all. It is now one of my recommended places to go for a good cup of tea and a good atmosphere.

All this reminds me once again of Seattle, down near the fish market. A lot of misfits go there to bless you with their music and collect dollars in their hats. Actually some of them are pretty good and others are not. I liked the washtub band, the guy who played his guitar while holding it over his head, the piano player, and the blind guitarist who played and sang in Post Alley. That's right the same Post Alley where Starbucks original shop still stands. It is also the same Post Alley where Seattle's Best famous cup of coffee is mounted on the wall across from the famous fish market.

Anyway, here, too, the misfits are part of the attraction and the atmosphere just wouldn't be right without them. But then, Seattle just isn't quite right without it's annual drag queen convention either. They happened to be staying in the W Hotel while Audrey and I were there. Some of the men made weird looking but pretty ladies. But who am I to judge?

It takes all kinds to make up this crazy world of ours. But I do find women with adams apples a little far out.

No comments:

Post a Comment