Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Hand Crafted

have you noticed how so many things nowadays make the claim to "hand crafted." Now, don't get me wrong, I think "hand crafted" is good for a lot of things. But, in reality, I think there are a lot of things that don't make one iota's worth of difference.

Now, if you are talking about furniture or a piece of art hand crafted is way cool. I can really appreciate that. Sewing and quilting is great for being hand crafted.

But I think the term wears a little thin when we start talking about sandwiches, sundaes, and coffee all being "hand crafted." For crying out loud, even McDonald's sandwiches are hand crafted. That doesn't mean they are tasty (although everything tastes like something). In fact, I'd like to see them make a sandwich without using their hands. Starbucks has a tea that is "hand shaken." I thought shaking hands was reserved for church. Anyway, does shaking the tea by hand make it taste better than shaking it in a paint shaker? really, how else are they going to shake it?

The other day I saw a sign for "hand crafted crepes." We have "hand crafted lattes". I was at a cafe where they had "hand crafted burgers." Isn't it amazing that they have to use their hands to install the lettuce and onion then put the top of the bun on and spear it with a toothpick?

Now my question is this: with all this hand crafted food they are making now, do they wash their hands before they make it? Do they wear those plastic gloves? Can it be like the Subway we went to where the guy blew real hard to open the gloves he was going to wear? That was appetizing. Are these the same hands that they wipe their nose with just before they make my sandwich?

I sure wish we could save hand crafted for our hobbies.

Excuse me now while I finish my hand crafted coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment