Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chaw, Chaw, Chaw

The guy's name was Terry. He and his family had just moved to our town from another town and they attended our church.... for a visit. No matter what anyone else may say, i was not that bad of a pastor. I did my pastoral duty and went to his house for a visit. It's amazing what can happen when you don't announce that you are coming.

For some reason I drove down the alley behind their house, and there was Terry standing in the back yard looking busy about cleaning things up. So I pulled up, jumped out of my car and called out to him. He smiled and waved and i walked over to him. Told him that I appreciated seeing him and his family in church. We talked for a while and I left.

Sure enough they became regulars in church. They were a delightful family and I heard later that the daughter, Robin, had gone on to Bible College.

Then one day, Terry told me about it. He said, "Pastor, remember the day that you came up the alley and jumped out of your car, and we talked for a while?" I said, "yes, what about it?" He said that was the best day of my life. that was the day that I realized that I wasn't right with God the way I should be."

He went on to tell the story that when I drove up he had just taken a big chew of tobacco. Not wanting me to see he had it, he swallowed it. That night he was terribly sick, and throwing up. He said, I can hide it from the pastor, but not from God. That night he accepted Christ as his personal Savior.

I helped to save a soul and didn't even know it. In a way I still wish I didn't because I really don't want any credit. But it was exciting to hear about it. It's the first time I ever heard about tobacco having a role in saving a soul. One-two-three, Chaw, chaw chaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment