Sunday, May 2, 2010

You Don't Know Jack!

I am trying to figure out a good reason for a single person with one kid, a freshman in college, to buy a two story single family house. Lot's of yard upkeep, lots of snow to shovel, needs painting, and fence repair. Oh, and the roof and siding need repair also.

Yesterday I was helping this neighbor. I fixed the fence, rerouted her sump pump drainage, and rerouted some drainage. That's when I pointed out some other repairs that she needed. I asked her why she bought this house. And she said it was because of Jack. Jack! Who's Jack? Well, it turns out that Jack is her big golden lab.

She said that apartment buildings, rentals, and town homes would not allow her to bring Jack, so she ended up buying this single family home..... which she might be stuck in for a while until housing prices recover. Now I've heard of doing a lot of things for a dog, but it seems to me that a good house for a dog is a dog house. And, it seems to me that Jack is a little decrepit.

As I was doing repairs she said, "Jack is going away next fall." " He belongs to my son and my son wants to take him with him to college." So, now this lady will be rattling around this big house, and even Jack won't be there. But all the damage he caused will be. Now, I admit that I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer..... but am I missing something (other than a few marbles)?

Now, look folks, I don't mind helping the neighbor. I actually shovel her walk, edge her lawn, and give her free advice. I do the same for the neighbor on the other side. But somewhere along the line you would think these single women, rattling around in three bedroom, 2 story houses would eventually figure things out, like..... maybe a smaller place in an HOA might solve a lot of their problems. And, shoot.... I come home tired, too!

When Jack finally kicks the old bucket, will he be cremated and put in a box on the mantle. I bet there are a lot of wives that wouldn't even do that for their husbands.

No comments:

Post a Comment