Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Police in Our Town

Let me tell you a story about the police in our town. Actually, I could tell you several, but just one this time around. Well, maybe two.

About two years ago I bought a 2010 F-150 for my work. Because it was too large to fit in my garage until I made some adjustments in the garage I had to leave it out doors for the night. That night it was broken into and everything inside was stolen. It was early morning when I discovered this and I called the police. The person I talked to on the phone wanted me to file a report over the phone. I declined and wanted an officer to come to the house. I was told that they would be there shortly. I waited over an hour and nobody came. I called again and was told things were a little slow because of a shift change.

I knew that the police made it a habit of gathering in the morning at the local Starbucks. So I drove down there, and sure enough, there were four officers sitting there enjoying their coffee. I called the police department again and was told the same thing, a shift change was taking place. I told the dispatcher that I didn't believe that because I had just went down to Starbucks and several officers were sitting there. An officer appeared at my house within ten minutes.

Well, I go to this Starbucks a lot in the mornings and there are usually several officers sitting chewing the fat and complaining about their jobs. Interestingly, they don't always buy coffee. There are four officers here this morning (the typical number). Their average stay is 45 minutes to an hour. OH, by the way, they left their cars running outside. I'm sure the taxpayers are happy to pick up that tab.

How many jobs are there where you can spend one-eighth of you shift having coffee club? And is this the only place they do coffee, or do they spend that much time at another coffee shop?

I guess the other story I have for today is about one cop, does not involve others. But one day while I was in Starbucks, he was here meeting with his girlfriend. They got a little passionate and started making out inside the store. You don't believe me? I have pictures. These camera phones are really nice.

Ah, the last police officer just left. A 65 minute break at Starbucks. Hmm.

As far as I'm concerned our city could lay off half the day shift and put the rest of them to work.
Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment