Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Couldn't Get Away

Every now and then I have a client that I can't stand, but for some reason they like my work and keep me around. In fact, I hate going there because it is hard to get away. Dwight is such a client.

I was there to install a fence post and to paint his swamp cooler. But before I could get started he had a few other things that I needed to look at. I had scheduled three hours for my work at his place but he was acting like I was there for the day.

When I looked at his swamp cooler It was obvious that he was wasting his money because it consisted mostly of rust. This was not just surface rust as it was rusted through in most places. I tried to talk him out of it but he insisted. So I set my ladder up to his roof and removed the panels. I scraped and painted.... got stung by a bee, and scraped and painted some more.

When I was finally finished four hours later, he wanted to apply yet another coat of paint. Fortunately I talked him out of that. I picked up my tools and carried them to my truck. When I returned for my ladder I found him on the roof doing some other work. I reminded him that I was already late for my next appointment. I was informed that he would be down from the roof in a few minutes. With Dwight, nothing is ever a few minutes.

I left there vowing I would never work for him again! My wife said, "You've said that before."

No comments:

Post a Comment