Wednesday, December 7, 2011

RLS

I know that it is debated, but RLS is a real disease. That's restless leg syndrome. I know because I have it, and today it was very obvious.

Typically it manifests itself more in the evening and at night. Many nights I have tossed and turned due to jerking and aching legs. When this manifests itself there is no way to be comfortable. Sometimes painkillers relieve the ache and make it bearable, but that does not stop the sudden and unexpected jerking. Sometimes it is much worse than others and sometimes I have no symptoms at all.

Today was one of those times that I was reminded once again that I have it. The MRI lasted thirty minutes. During that time my legs had to be absolutely still. I didn't think much about that until about halfway into it. Suddenly my legs wanted to move. I was going wild. It was a mental challenge to keep them still. The MRI is a $1,000 test and who wants to pay for it twice? I was so relieved when it was over.

The tech, who is not qualified to read the MRI, told me that there is no new growth, and that it looks like the growth is very old.... which is good news. I hope the doctor has the same opinion.
Over the years I have had doctors say it is a cyst, others said it was calcification, a couple of doctors asked me when I broke my leg. My knee surgeon thought it might be a bone tumor. This is the first time they have really felt the need to take a look at it. I guess I'll find out in a few days what it really is.

Anyway, back to the subject. RLS is a real disorder. It is my hope that with the knee replacements there will be less pain and therefore the RLS will diminish.

That's worth celebrating with a fresh cup of Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment