Monday, December 12, 2011

Tebowing

"Tebowing" is a new term and one day may make it into the dictionary. When a person "Tebows" it simply means that he is taking the pose that was made famous by Quarterback Tim Tebow of the Denver Broncos. When Tebow Tebows it is sincere. He is simply on one knee thanking and praising God, or praying. Others may Tebow for a variety of reasons. Some people like it and some don't.

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday about Tim Tebow. After reading this article I have had to conclude that Tim Tebow is genuine through and through. He is the same off the field as he is on the field. He is unabashedly a Christian. Like it or not, that is who he is. I prefer to like it.

There is growing criticism made of Tebow's public prayer. It is a matter of discussion on talk shows around America. Many are claiming that there is no place for these public displays in the NFL where people can see it on national TV and are made uncomfortable. I disagree. First of all, the cameras do not have to zoom in on Tebow while he is Tebowing. They could just leave him alone and let him be who he is. Secondly, that feeling of discomfort may be the result of our own shortcomings. Mr. Tebows openess with his Christianity is an example of what other Christians should be doing, but are not doing, and therefore the sense of discomfort and guilt. I know that is true in my life. I should be doing more and should be more open with my faith. I haven't decided whether to "Tebow," but I have decided to be more forthright.

The world will be watching Mr. Tebow for him to make his first mistake. When he does, or if he does, all hell will break loose. He will get labeled as a hypocrite and the world will take comfort in that. We will all feel better because he will join the rest of us hypocrites. Misery loves company.

But I think I will "Tebow" right now and pray that Mr. Tebow will continue to be himself and that he will not fail those of us who need a shining example to make us feel uncomfortable so that we will get off our dead ends and do what we should also be doing. No, I'm not talking about "Tebowing". I'm talking about the Christian acts of faith and charity that makes Mr.s Tebow who he really is.

Come on Timmy. I'm pulling for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment