Sunday, April 18, 2010

Georgetown

Georgetown is one of my favorite places to go. No, I'm not talking about the university town, I'm talking about a little historic town in Colorado Rockies just about an hour from where I live. Take I 70 west of Denver, and before I know it, I am there.

Here there are some pretty rustic restaurants and cafes. There are rock shops, antique shops, clothing shops, a Christmas shop, an old time grocery store where you can actually buy fishballs (yuk), an ice cream and candy shop where they actually make candy, and a soda fountain shop. Today, I thought I came across and new tea shop. It said "tea" on one side of the sign. So I walked in only to discover a woman's boutique.

What I did discover, though, was a soda fountain shop where you could get gourmet coffee, Ice cream sundaes, a certain amount of candy, sweatshirts, tee shirts, blankets, and an array of other things. The hot fudge sundae with real ice cream, whipped cream, and a cherry on the top was really good. The coffee was ok, but the gossip was superior. The owner told us about various shops that were closed due to tax evasion, family feuds and the like. She told it all in soap opera fashion. Just a minor part of Georgetown history. I also bought a book which I would not have bought had I been anyplace else. You may get bits and pieces of that in future blogs.

If you need a place to relax, do a different kind of shopping, eat in a rustic cafe, or even have a cup of coffee in a different setting, Georgetown is a nice place to go. Bring your camera because you'll kick yourself if you don't. I can't promise you won't get any slivers when you sit down, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment