Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What is it About Drivers Lately?

Yesterday, when I needed to get something done, it was really hard getting in done. I had a home owner who stayed home from work so my crew could finish up projects inside and outside his house. But, alas! My crew leader didn't show up on time. In fact, he was two hours late. And only one of the crew members showed up.... the slowest one, of course.

So, I called my crew leader to see what the hold up was. Well, he had to take his wife to the airport. Something he could have told me on Friday, and it is now Monday, and I need him on the job. A couple of hours later I called him again. This time he had gotten rear-ended as he was leaving the airport and he was waiting for the police. Finally, four hours after start time he showed up. We had some jamming to to to get the job done.

But getting the job done required about four trips to the hardware store at the cost of about $250 extra expense. Why is it the 90 year old guy always turns right in front of me. He's not in a hurry to get anywhere and I am. Boy is he not in a hurry! The other guy that gets in front of me is the guy who just bought a car and has one of those stickers in the back window. I know that he is convinced that the sticker says "must drive 10 mph under the speed limit." Because that is exactly what he does...... creating road rage behind him.

No, don't tell me you can talk on your cell phone and be a good driver. I think everyone thinks they can do that. But I average about 100 miles per day around this city and see lots of people yacking on their phones. None of them are good drivers. They swerve, hold up traffic, make turns without signals, and miss their turns. They try the one handed U-turn maneuver while still yacking and and are oblivious to the guy that is about to broadside them.... me. They also don't see the light turn green and they sit there just Yacking. At least the lady who was changing her baby at a stop light had a good excuse. But she still got honked at.

Well, I do admit that I get my share of speeding tickets. But folks, I haven't had an accident since I was a teen-ager, and that one wasn't my fault. I should get a safe driver award along with a discount. In fact, the insurance company should pay me to drive. All these slow drivers on their cell phones cause the accidents. Well, so do jack-knifed semis coming down Floyd Hill and all the idiots on their cell phones going too fast up behind them...... on icy roads. And also that guy from Florida who rear-ended me at a stop light. He couldn't understand how that happened because he had it in 4WD.

Remember when you could send in 4 Wheaties box tops and 50 cents and get a prize? Well, I think that is exactly how a lot of people got their drivers license. It's a fright, now cars are being manufactured with the ability to parallel park themselves because the drivers can't. What next? .... cars that you can talk to? Oh, yeah, I just read an article where Ford is coming out with those pretty soon, too. At least I won't be talking to myself in the car anymore. I understand those cars will talk to us, too. So, will there be a lot of heartbreak when a guy gets rid of his talking car? Who knows, maybe the new car will have sleeker lines, more comfort, and a sexier voice. His wife will be jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment