Monday, December 13, 2010

Physically Fit

I know, I know! Just about everyone thinks they are physically fit, not to mention that we are all about 10 pounds or more overweight. Well, today was a good test of how un-physically fit I might be. My brother, Curt, and I hiked up a mountain in Glendale, Arizona in 80 degree temps.

I thoroughly expected that I would be out of breath about a third of the way up. Well, what do you know? I wasn't out of breath until I got all the way up and I wasn't all the way out of breath. Breaking my arm now patting myself on the back. I guess the hard work through the summer and fall paid off. Yet, I don't know how I would do on one of Colorado's mountains starting at about 10,000 feet above sea level. I think I'd better hit the treadmill and lose about 10 pounds and get my lungs in order.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm getting lazier. Gravity is stronger than it one was. The knives cutting into my knees didn't used to be there. And the crackles and snaps when I bend my fingers are also new things together with new pains. The inventor of Advil deserves to be a millionaire. In fact he should be since I've spent about a million dollars on his pills.

I remember the days I could still run, that is, to someplace beside the bathroom. Back then I could do sit-ups and push-ups. Nowadays I sit up and eat push-ups. You know, those little sherbet ice creams in the cardboard cylinder that push up with the little cardboard stick. Which, by the way, do not help me shed the 10 pounds I want to lose.

So, January and February are the months of the treadmill and shoveling snow. Although, I now have a snow blower. Perhaps I'll break out the snowshoes and head for the high country. I always wanted to die on a mountain. Just kidding! Just don't spend too much time searching for me. That is, unless you also need to lose some weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment