Friday, February 12, 2010

Airports

Airports are a big part of my life. It's not that I travel a lot.... maybe two trips per year by air. But my wife, Audrey, flies out nearly every week. She flies to Dallas, Odessa, Omaha, Odessa, Dallas, Odessa, Omaha. And, of course, she always comes home to Denver. It's not exotic, but it is her work.

For my part, I take her to the airport and pick her up each time. that's two trips to the airport each week. It's not that I mind. It's just the time between when I drop her off and pick her up that I mind. Life is getting shorter and we are spending more and more time apart. She sits alone in a hotel and I sit alone at a coffee shop or watching a game.

We have a king sized bed, but the sheets are getting worn out on only one side. Two stools at the counter where we eat, but only one gets used. Two cars in the garage and one usually stays in the garage. How does a guy grill just one hamburger, one steak, one chop, or one hotdog. Is it possible to peel just one-half a potato?

But the big thing is... I miss her so. Sometimes there is a constant ache, a longing, a tremendous desire to have her close. And on the weekends, I do have her close. Blessed are the precious weekends.

Drat the airports that take her away. Hooray for the airports that bring her home.

A husband's lament.

No comments:

Post a Comment