Monday, February 22, 2010

America, The Beautiful




Audrey ran off with her pals up the Breckenridge for a two day retreat. She got her first skiing lesson and is staying in a beautiful lodge. So, instead of feeling sorry for myself I went for a hike up at Brainard Lake, above Ward. What I found was a winter wonderland. The beauty and majesty of the snow covered pines and mountains.

I drove through Boulder and turned into the mountains on Lefthand Canyon Road. The wonderland began there. The road was clean and white, the trees snow covered, and the sun was brilliantly shining. Winding upward I stopped from time to time to take pictures. I went through Ward, that doesn't look too bad when covered with snow. I drove right past the espresso shop at 9400 feet above sea level and entered the road winding up to Brainard Lake. I parked and got out of the truck. It was 5 degrees F. But that's ok., I had my cowboy hat, warm gloves, wools socks, a bottle of water, Advil, jerky, and two cameras. I had my phone, too. But that didn't matter, there was no signal.

Thus began the three mile trek up to Brainard Lake. It was always up. A slight breeze, snow cascading from the trees. Though cold, the sun gave warmth, as did the arduous plodding on ever upward. I stopped here and there for a few pics. The mountains loomed in the distance as a shadow behind the spray of blowing snow. The beauty all around was breath taking. The coldness was it's beauty. The solitude was another reward. I trekked on and came upon a cabin buried in the snow. then I finally reached Brainard Lake. What a sight with Mt Audabon looming straight ahead. It was inviting and yet foreboding. A blizzard was high up and temperatures were way below zero up there. Yet, it was still tempting.

It was time to return. I stopped for water and an Advil. I looked at my watch, it was 12:30. It would take an hour to come back down. This was a lot less work and snow had begun to fall. I'm at the truck at 1:30 and back home at 3:30. This is what I like about Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment