Saturday, February 20, 2010

What Should We Talk About?

A great paradox is working in my life. It is hard to explain, but I will try. I don't know if there is a science for this. I'll let you decide.

As you know from a previous blog, Audrey spends a lot of time away from home because of her job. I take her to and from the airport and miss her greatly in between. After the first night, I hate the empty house. It is a real joy to have her come home.

But after she is home.... what do we talk about? We've been together nearly 40 years and it seems as though we have discussed almost everything. Many things we have talked about several times. So she sits in her chair or in her office with her laptop, and I sit in my chair with mine. We watch the Olympic events between commercials. Make some popcorn, tea or coffee. And there we sit with very few words between us.

Even today. The twenty-five minute trip to her office, we spoke very little. I said, "maybe we should invest in gold." Silence.

Yet, her presence means everything. I don't feel alone and I do feel a great connection. I sense a joy and a feeling of well being. Even in the sound of silence there is a voice that is heard, a connection that is made.

What shall we talk about? I don't know. Let's just be quiet and sense each other's presence and hear each other breathe. Most of the time, that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment