Friday, February 26, 2010

Doggie Door

Believe it or not, I do like animals, although I have none of my own. I Just don't like caring for animals, like standing out in the cold with them while they do their job. And then, of course, picking up their job. That is especially embarrassing when the do their job on the neighbor's lawn.

In my job I run into all types of animal lovers. I mean, there are people who will do absolutely anything and everything for their pet, especially if it is a dog. Today I did a job in a home for a lady who wanted the doggie door moved. In the side of her house next to the patio door is a little doggie door. This is so the little critter and come and go as he pleases. What a life!

The problem was, the doggie door was 3 inches too low, so the poor little dog had to crouch to get in and out. Mary, Mrs. dog owner felt sorry for the poor thing. Thus, a call to the handyman, who is me. She wanted a bid to raise the doggie door 3 inches. I said, $150. She said do it. So I did it.

Once I removed the sheetrock around the doggie door I encountered an unexpected problem. A 2" vent pipe ran up one side and across the top of the doggie door frame. I showed that to the homeowner and asked what she wanted to do. Now, I could have installed new sheetrock and re-trimmed the door, and it would have cost her $50. But to move the plumbing was another $150. I asked her what she wanted to do. She opted to move the plumbing and the door. So, I did. $300.

Now, I know I am not the most kind hearted guy. But for $300 I would let my dog crouch a little. If he didn't like doing that he could just stay inside! Or outside! Did this little dog go to it's owner and say, "Gee, I don't like this crouching. Would you fix that danged door?"

Well, actually, if I had a dog that said that I'd have him in some kind of talent show, making millions. Then I'd probably fix his little door.

No comments:

Post a Comment