Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Last Meatball

I remember the days when a church mouse was rich compared to us. We lived in Jamestown, North Dakota where I attended college. Audrey was pregnant with Rana, our rent was $88 per month, and I had no job.

We invited this couple over for dinner one evening. Their names were Cathy and DeGregg. And they attended the same college, Trinity Bible Institute. Because we were so poor, we were in a quandary as to what we would serve them. Food was pretty scarce and we had ruled out food stamps. We decided on spaghetti and meatballs. We had enough hamburger for one medium sized meatball for each of us. So we ran with that.

After we returned thanks for the meal before us, we served what we had. Of course, guests are always first to be served. So the food dishes were sent toward DeGregg, then Cathy, then Audrey, then me. DeGregg helped himself to three of the four meatballs. It was like the rest of us were hit in the gut. Then the dish went to Cathy who didn't know whether she should take the last meatball or not. Of course, we told her to take it. Audrey and I had spaghetti with sauce. DeGregg had no idea what he had done. I doubt if he has ever caught on.

Audrey and I have laughed about this for years. But at the time we almost cried. Back then, meatballs were so precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment